What Is A Responsive Website?
The Internet isn’t just on your computer screen anymore. It’s also on your phone, your tablet, your laptop, and who knows what else in the next few years. So when you visit a modern webpage, its design should take our multi-platform world into account, and morph to ideally match the size and shape of the screen you’re viewing it on.This is called Responsive Design.
This website is built using responsive techniques. If viewing this on a desktop computer, you can resize your browser window by dragging from the bottom right corner. As you make the width of the site smaller, you will see the site reformat. This is all done without the need for a another mobile website that would need to be built and maintained separately.
Why should you care?
Because you can future proof your website for all future mobile devices, regardless of what operating system or brand of phone your visitors are using. Responsive websites respond to the width of the browser, not the make or operating system of the device it is being viewed on. When the next new device hits the market, whether it be a new tablet or smart phone, your site will be ready to conform to its screen size.
The other huge advantage that responsive websites have is that you only have to maintain the content on one website. Your content can be made in one place, but be optimized for viewing in three different formats. This is contrary to a separate mobile website where you would have to update content on your main website and then go and update again on the mobile version. Responsive sites reduce the extra time and cost out of maintaining a cross platform web presence.
One other notable factor is that Google is now indexing mobile sites first. This means mobile enabled websites have priority when it comes to search results. Why? In the USA, 94% of people with smartphones search for local information on their phones. Interestingly, 77% of mobile searches occur at home or at work, places where desktop computers are likely to be present. So I guess you could say Google is trending with the trend. :-)
A Few Responsive Web Design Clients
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Florida (state association)
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Alabama (state association)
- Tallahassee Challenger Tennis – USTA Pro Circuit Event
- Fezler Golf Services – (former PGA Tour player)
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Southwest Florida (Naples)
- Mortgage Bankers Association of the Gulf Coast (Sarasota)
- About My Mortgage
- About Your Mortgage (landing page)
- Servicer Advantage
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Tampa Bay
- Mortgage Bankers Association of the Palm Beaches
- Greenwave Technologies
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Central Florida (Orlando)
- Whole Child Leon
- Bradfordville Tennis
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Jacksonville Florida
- Early Learning Coalition Sarasota County